Epilogue

Epilogue 
(I finally saw a bear)

The end of a cross-country bicycle tour is alway anti-climatic. I slept well at the Jasper Downtown Hostel in room number U upper bunk 5. I woke up at 7am, and wouldn’t be able to get my bike unlocked until 8 am. I eventually rode over to Coco's Cafe for breakfast and had the huevos rancheros wrap, along with a cappuccino and freshly squeezed orange juice. Afterwards I went next door to the pharmacy to get a replacement pair of reading glasses, the tour’s third. The Bench bike store didn’t open until 10am. It was sunny and I went to the large grass yard in front of the visitors center to lay out my tent, ground cloth, Thermarest, sleeping bag, and liner in the sun to dry. I got to the bike shop at a quarter past ten and picked up a bike box. I gave them my remaining CO2 canister and borrowed their pedal wrench. I grabbed a smaller box from the back of a nearby supermarket. There was a small gazebo to the side of the train station next to the parking lot. I turned it into my workshop and began dismantling my bike. The bike boxing went smoothly. Unlike the trip out, I had to disassemble the rear rack. I noticed that the box had an image of a flatscreen television and hoped that it wouldn’t give me trouble at the airport. I wasn’t able to fit all of my gear into the smaller box and had to return to the supermarket for a larger one. The larger box’s previous purpose was transporting ice cream cones. It’s always a pain packing up the final box because I have to pack my Leatherman. I pulled out my house keys from deep within the frame bag and used those to cut the tape. The Canadian tape was much thinner that the Scotch heavy-duty packing tape that I prefer. I was completely packed by 1pm and the bus would be arriving at 1:45. Everything went smoothly and the driver had space for my bike. The ice fields highway south to Banff was straight out of a fairytale. They were some of the most spectacular mountains in the world and we even saw a brown bear. We stopped briefly at the stupendous Columbia ice fields, and passed numerous jagged rock formations and waterfalls. I saw several touring cyclists on the highway. From Banff, we retraced my route to Canmore and passed the large plants I had ridden by.

Calgary was larger than I had expected, and even had a rapid transit system. It was jarring to be back in a big city, and the raucous Stampede was in full effect. I was dropped off at the airport, where I raced through with a free luggage cart. I caught a shuttle to the hotel, where there were no food or drink options. I went to bed hungry and thirsty, and had a good night’s sleep. The next morning I penned out two BICYCLE signs in large letters which I taped over the bike box television image. I caught the shuttle back to the airport, where I boarded a flight to Portland. It would be the fourth time I had ended a cross-country tour out of Portland. The fee to ship my bike was $121, and the flight followed the Columbia River, which I had cycled in 2020. I remembered well the oppressive desert heat and wind below. Towards the end of the flight, green trees emerged and we passed Mount Hood. I caught an Über to Justin and Kim’s place, where Justin was waiting. We had a fun dinner party that night, and I enjoyed my visit at their amazing place. Monday I flew to Spokane to visit Jeff, Tim, Henry, and Linda. I was traveling with one of my panniers as luggage, and my friends were amused at how little I had.

In Spokane I participated in two early morning Rocket Market rides, and Jeff showed me around town. Tim and his wife Priscilla had a wonderful dinner party for everyone, including two couples whom had just finished the TransAm. We shared silly stories that only a long-distance cyclist could fully appreciate. Jeff and I visited Linda and Henry’s cabin in Priest Lake Idaho, where we retraced a bit of our 2019 Northern Tier route. I indulged in a huckleberry milk shake, pie, pancakes, jam, and margarita. Thursday I flew back to Portland, where I spent a few hours with Justin before taking the red-eye back to New York. Jet Blue charged me $30 to ship my bicycle and there were no issues. I arrived at JFK in the early morning. Jeff had convinced me to assemble my bike at the airport and forego an expensive rush-hour Über. I took a LIRR train to Brooklyn, and cycled home, where Blanka was happy to see me. 

Over the next week I cleaned and packed my gear, worked on my stats, and began editing my reports. My body was trashed and it felt great to be in my own bed. 

The Brewster Shuttle

The Columbia ice fields

Mt. Hood

Kim, Justin, and I in Portland

The Spokane Rocket Market Riders

Reunited with Team Spokane (Jeff, Linda, Henry, and I)

Jeff and I tubing on Priest Lake

Blanka the Dog

⥢ prev -home- next ⥤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Divide (NOBO) - Day #2 Hachita, NM to Silver City, NM

Table of Contents

Great Divide (NOBO) - Day #36 Eureka, MT to Fernie, BC