Introduction

I’ve been captivated by the Great Divide Mountain Biking Route since 2018, after I completed the TransAm, the cross-country gateway tour that changed my life for better or worse. I had originally planned to cycle the divide the summer of 2020 but was thwarted by COVID. My friends Andy, Asa, Jeff, and Chris have all cycled the divide, but none have gone the full distance. The Canadian border was closed during the pandemic. This will be my boldest and riskiest cycling adventure to date. The Great Divide is the world’s longest off-road cycling route, spanning over three thousand miles from the Mexican border post at Antelope Wells, NM to Jasper, AB running along the spine of the Rocky Mountains. I will be riding through five American states and two Canadian provinces. I will climb more than a combined 200,000 feet  elevation, mostly on gravel and dirt. I purchased a new bike and equipment for this tour. My training consisted of rigorous January and April tours. My route direction was inspired by Jeff’s 2021 Great Divide From The Bottom. Jeff is also an educator and our summer breaks begin in late May. My plan was to start early, and beat the extreme heat and wildfires. Most GDMBR riders, including the racers, travel north to south. I’ve ridden against the grain on almost every ACA route. 

Currently New Mexico is on fire and I’m having to readjust sections of my route. Colorado and Montana just received massive amounts of snow. It’s strongly recommended to travel in groups. Much of the route coincides with the Continental Divide Trail, and I have a hunch that I’ll connect with others. Hopefully I’ll make life-long friends like I did on the TransAm and Northern Tier. I can see from the GDMBR Facebook support group that there's a strong community teeming with trail angels. The Great Divide links all of my ACA cross-country routes and I’m looking forward to reconnecting with the enchanting places the Rocky Mountains offer. This effort could be described as heroic. The route is primarily off-road and away from motor traffic. I won’t have the luxury of regularly spaced services. I’ll need to pack food, filter water, and will be wild camping. The northern half of the route is populated by brown and grizzly bears. It’s an ultimate challenge and adventure. Jeff mentioned that it’s  life changing. The TransAm changed my life. What more could I expect from this one? 


⥢ prev -home- next ⥤

Comments

  1. Epic! Excited to follow along and will share with others. Would love to go back and ride Rooseville to Banff and Horcha to Antelope Wells! Stoked for you bro! Out there livin'!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Great Divide (NOBO) - Day #2 Hachita, NM to Silver City, NM

Table of Contents

Great Divide (NOBO) - Day #36 Eureka, MT to Fernie, BC