Great Divide (NOBO) - Day #14 Hartsel, CO to Breckinridge, CO

Great Divide (NOBO) - Day #14
June 9, 2022
Hartsel , CO to Breckinridge, CO - 50 Miles
Start 8:26 AM Finish 3:08 PM
Total Duration 6:41
Moving Time 6:00
Stopped Time :41
Ascent 3,618 Feet
Descent 2,809 Feet
Tour Total 990 Miles

I slept great last night camped between the septic tank and dumpster out in back of the Highline Cafe & Saloon in Hartsel. I had a little too much fun last night with fellow NOBO dividers Joe and Justin. After the saloon closed we set up our tents, and then drank beer at a picnic table. I woke up this morning with the light, and my tent fly was filled with condensation, which I found odd at 9,000’ elevation. I noticed that my saddle was loose from all of the bumps, and I tightened it. I packed up and went back to the Highline for breakfast. The server was complaining about how the place was in disarray from last night. I had been witness to the rowdiness that ensued, but said nothing. I got the ham and cheese omelette with hash-browns and toast, along with coffee and orange juice. Afterwards I pedaled east out of town on US Highway 24. Justin and Joe were still asleep when I pushed off. I had a six inch shoulder and was wearing my cycling shorts, short sleeve shirt, and arm protectors. I had lathered myself with sunscreen before departing. The air was chilly and the sun was bright and strong.

A few miles out of Hartsel I took a left on dirt Elkhorn Road aka County Road 15, and the washboards began immediately. Yesterday had been a bumpy ride and the two NOBO J’s were complaining about how difficult it had been. The geography today was similar to yesterday’s smooth grassy gently rounded hills. I enjoyed a gorgeous snowcap mountain range to the north. There were puffy clouds in the sky and a large gray cloud to the northeast. A marmot ran across the road. 

After twenty miles on dirt, the pavement returned and I passed the Jefferson Como Fire Station Number Five. I was now riding west directly into the wind. I could see US 285 and the town of Como in the distance. Several large clouds glided over me and it was cool in the shade. The air was brisk and the sun was strong.

After a lengthy battle with the wind, I finally reached US 285 and took a left. I went a quarter of a mile and then took a right on County Road 33 towards Como. There was a long series of snow fences running  along highway 285.

I passed a sign that read, ‘Boreas Pass 12 miles and Breckenridge 21 miles’. I was now in Park County. Como was a historic railroad settlement and ghost town. I visited the Roundhouse, the old railroad depot, and the hotel. A friendly volunteer associated with the museum offered me a Gatorade.

After Como, the climbing for Borreas Pass began immediately. It was gnarly with baby head rocks and chunky holes. Midway up the pass I came to a ridiculous steep grade. I had to stop to catch my breath but there was no hike-a-bike. I cycled it all. I finally broke even with the tree line and the headwind was intense. There were mounds of snow, and I took photos and wrote my trail name initials with pebbles.

I finally reached the top of 11,482’ Boreas pass and it was 2:13 PM. I had once again crossed the Continental Divide towards the Pacific side. I entered the White River National Forest, and eventually passed the Baker’s tank from the old narrow gauge railway that had once plied this pass. On the downhill there were amazing views of nearby snowcapped mountains. As I approached Breckenridge I noticed numerous people cycling, walking, and camping alongside the road. It was an epic way to enter Breckenridge.

I enjoyed pavement for the last four mile descent into Breckinridge. I screamed down the hill and relished incredible views. I stopped at the bike shop where I had gone in 2018, but wasn’t feeling a vibe this time. I would need to purchase a water bottle and strap somewhere else. I got a room at the Villlage of Breckinridge, where I had stayed in 2018. I hung all of my wet gear to dry, and soaked my poor sore body in the tub. I walked over to Bangkok Happy Bowl and ordered Bangkok Fresh Rolls, Papaya Salad, and the Chicken Cashew Nut bowl, along with a few pints of Sapporo. Back at the room I edited this report before going to bed.

NOBO dividers Joe and Justin

Camped out back of the Highline Cafe & Saloon in Hartsel, CO


The Roundhouse, Como, CO

Como Hotel


The climb up Boreas Pass begins!

First snow of the tour


Map/Elevation Profile

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Divide (NOBO) - Day #2 Hachita, NM to Silver City, NM

Table of Contents

Great Divide (NOBO) - Day #36 Eureka, MT to Fernie, BC