Gear Review

 BIKE

• Salsa Fargo Apex 1 - 29" Steel, Green X-Large, Carbon Front Fork - I love my new bike! The wide handlebars and disc brakes were fantastic. The SRAM shifter was mostly good. Sometimes it would seize up and wouldn't shift. I wish that I had double-taped the handle bars. My palms were bruised the first part of the tour.

• 32t Crankset - Only having one front ring worked fine. The 32t size was sufficient.

• 11–42t SRAM 11-speed Cassette - I wouldn't have minded a larger sprocket for some of the steep climbing. Top speed on the 11 tooth sprocket was 20 mph.

• Brooks B67 Saddle - It was smart to bring my old trusty saddle that's been cross-country with me on almost every tour.

• Maxxis Ikon 29 X 2.35" 3C/Exo/TR Front Tire - This tire wore out and barely made it to the finish. I'd choose a different tire next time.

• Maxxis Ardent 29 X 2.4" Rear Tire  - This tire worked well, and there was plenty of tread left at the end of the tour. It handled well and I had very few spin outs.

• Shimano PD-M324 dual sided pedals - I love these pedals, and prefer having two options.

• Salsa Alternator Plus Rear Rack: 135 - 148mm spacing - This worked well. I'm used to Tubus racks and was apprehensive, but it held up well.

• Salsa Anything Cages mounted to front forks - I loved having my gear tightly strapped to my front forks. I'll probably ever go back to front panniers.

• 3 Water Bottle Cages - The bottom cage underneath the down tube broke on day 3, and I replaced it in Salida. Then I lost the bottle on the rack. I finally purchased an essential strap and new bottle for this cage.

• Lezyne Air pump mount - No issues.

• NiteRider Lumina Max 2500 Front Bike Light - Due to limited handlebar space this light lived most of the time in my handlebar bag. This light gets hot, and it's important to make sure that it's off and locked when transporting. I question the advertised battery life.

• Garmin Varia RTL515 Rearview Radar Taillight - I love this light, and finally figured out how to fidget with the Wahoo to always get it working.

• Bell Helmet (yellow) - It's now bleached with a nice size gouge in the top. I'm ready for a new helmet.

TOOLS & SPARE PARTS

• 1 Park Tool patch kit - Never had to use.

• Park Tool Emergency Tire Boot - Never had to use.

• 2 spare inner tubes Maxxis 29 x 1.9/2.35 - Never had to use.

• 4 Spare brake pads SRAM- My brake pads were replaced in Helena, and I ever had to use these spares.

• 1 Spare rear gear cable - Never had to use.

• 1 Spare rear brake cable - Never had to use.

• 6 Spare spokes (2 front/4 rear) - Never had to use.

• 1 FiberFix kevlar emergency replacement spoke - Never had to use.

• 2 Muc-Off tire levers - Never had to use.

• LEZYNE Micro Floor Drive Hand Pump High Pressure with Gauge, Black - The top cap untwisted with vibration, but it still worked.

• Liv Ratchet Bike Multi-Tool - I love this tool. Many of the attachments were unnecessary. The end caps frequently came undone.

• Leatherman (screwdriver, pliers, knife) - I wonder if a smaller lighter pocketknife would be better. The pliers didn't work for installing chain quick links.

• Park Tool 6" Adjustable Wrench - I never used. Perhaps it was unnecessary.

• Park Tool CT-5 Mini Chain Brute Chain Tool - Never had to use. 

• Presta Schrader converter - I used this to inflate my front tire at a gas station in Hinton.

• (6) 10” Zip ties - I never used, but should have when packing my bike in Jasper. 

• spoke wrench #2 - I used this a lot at the beginning of the trip to tighten my spokes.

• Brooks Saddle Wrench - I never used 

• Mini pedal wrench - I used this when reassembling my bike at the end of the tour at JFK

• Park Tool valve core tool - I used this when adding more sealant in Banff

• Tri Flow chain lube - I used this several times to clean my chain.

• .02 fl. oz. Loctite blue - I never used.

• .03 fl. oz. Crazy Glue - I never used.

• 4' duct tape - I never used.

• 4' electrical tape - I used to re-secure my spare brake and gear cables which had become un-spooled

• Misc bolts, spacers - I never used. Should I add two small hose clamps next time?

• Extra chain links (11 speed) - I never used

• 2 pair quicklinks (11 speed) - I used one pair, and wish that I had brought quicklink pliers. Another cyclist replenished the used pair.

• Extra valve core - I never used

• Dynaplug Micro Pro (4 plugs) - I had to plug my front tire three times. Several holes required multiple plugs. I purchased additional plugs in Canmore.

• Dynaplug extra Plug kit (3 plugs) - I purchased additional plugs in Canmore.

• 4 oz. Endurance Tubeless Sealant with Twist Lock Applicator - I used this in Banff, and purchased additional sealant in Canmore. 

• Muc-off CO2 inflation valve - I used this in Hinton.

• (2) 25g CO2 cartridges - I had to ship these to Hachita for the start. I used one in Hinton.

• grease rag - I used this several time to clean my chain.

• 2 pair disposable gloves - I used these several time to clean my chain.

• sewing kit - I used this to repair my tent.

• 4 spare hair ties - I never used.

• Therm-a-rest repair kit - I never used.

• tent repair kit - I never used.

• 2 Quad Lock® iPhone Bike Mount rings - I never used.

• 12” bailing wire - I never used.

(My chain was replaced twice)

MAPS

• ACA GDMBR Paper Maps - I love having paper maps.

• Bicycle Route Navigator iPhone app w/ ACA digital maps - I love having digital maps where I can see where I am on the map.

• Ride with GPS Digital Maps - I had downloaded the ACA New Mexico fire detours, but wish that I had purchased the ACA GPS map for the Canada Elk Valley Trail singletrack section. I prefer to be the navigator, but these would be extremely useful in the rain.

• Wahoo Elemnt - I mainly used to collect my stats. I also used the radar function when sharing the road with motor traffic.

TECH

• iPAD 5 Air - I find the iPad extremely limited, but couldn't have blogged without it. 

• Magic Keyboard for iPad Air - I couldn't have blogged without it.

• Native Union Stow Slim iPad Air case - This was necessary to protect the iPad from all of the bumps and vibrations.

• iPhone 13 - This worked well. The battery was robust, storage was impressive, and the camera is amazing.

• Quad Lock® iPhone Bike Mount - This worked well. It's the best iPhone mounting system.

• iPod Nano - This worked well, especially with WFMU program files. I listened to it every day, all day long. The battery seemed to suffer after cold nights. 

• 20000mAh Portable Charger - This worked well. I never ran out of power.

• 4 port USB charger - This worked well, especially packed in my handlebar bag where it was easily accessible at service stops. 

• USB-C Charger - The charger and cable worked well

• 2 USB lightning cables (iPhone, iPod Nano) - There were no issues. I kept one of the cables tucked away and never used it.

• USB to USB-C adapter - I never used.

• 3 USB Type A to Mini-B cables (Portable Charger,  Wahoo, Garmin Varia, Petzl headlamp) - All of the cables worked well. There were no issues.

• 1 USB to USB-C cable (Headlight) - The cable worked well

• 1 USB-C to  USB-C cable (iPad Air) - The cable worked well

• 1 pair earBuds w/ 3.5 mm Headphone Jack - I used these every day to listen to my iPod.

• 1 pair earBuds w/ lightning Jack - I only used this a few times. I accidentally packed an extra pair, which were mailed home from Salida.

LUGGAGE

• 2 x Ortlieb Gravel Pack rear panniers Black Matt - These worked extremely well. Note that I epoxied the rack spacers in place before the tour. (I've had issues with these spacers in the past)

• Ortlieb Seat-Pack Saddle Bag - 11L - This worked well, but developed numerous holes by the end of the tour.

• Apidura Expedition Frame Pack Compact 5.3L - This worked well, but developed small holes by the end of the tour.

• Ortlieb Ultimate6 Pro M Handlebar Bag - I love cycling with this bag. This same bag has been on every one of my bike tours. It keeps everything important directly in front me, and is easily detachable.

• Ortlieb Mapcase - They eventually yellow, and this is is my second one. They work well.

• 2 x Salsa Anything cages mounted to front fork - I doubt that I'll ever go back to front panniers.

• 2 x Sea to Summit Compression Dry Sack S (10-3.3L)  - I was skeptical, but these were amazing. The true test was when I rode through a deep puddle and my sleeping bag was completely submerged. It was dry that evening when I unpacked it.

• 2 x REI Co-op Lightweight Compression Stuff Sack (10L) - I'll never go back to regular stuff sacks. I finally got used to knowing what needed to be deep packed, and what could go in the top of the pannier.

CAMPING

• MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2-Person Tent - This tent has been with me on every bike tour (except for the first one) and is starting to show it's age. I needed to make a repair when the fabric got caught in the zipper on day 4, and a few seams will need to be repaired before I take it back out. When the time comes I'll get the exact same model. I need to replace a few stakes, and note that I travel with an emergency pole spline.

• MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 Footprint - I would never use a $500 tent without a footprint.

• Feathered Friends Swallow - NANO 20 Degree Down Sleeping Bag (Long) - I only got cold on one night, on Cochetopa pass, day #11. 

• Cocoon Silk Mummy Liner Sleeping bag liner - This worked well.

• Therm-a-rest Neoair XLite Sleeping Pad - I suspect a slight leak, but it was never a serious problem. It worked well.

• NEMO Fillo Backpacking Pillow - This worked well.

• Sawyer Mini Water filter - I used this on numerous occasions. My only issue is that the bag split around the threaded opening, and I had to manually pinch the leak while squeezing. 

CLOTHING

• Shimano SD5 Bike Sandals - Men's Grey w/ SPD Cleats - These were my only footwear, and they worked well. My feet got chapped in New Mexico and I had to lather them with petroleum jelly. I later used chamois butter. Often I would ride with socks. The sandals were invaluable walking through streams and puddles.

• 1 pair ELEVENPINE Men's Detour Shorts & Liberator Liner - I rode in these every day and they held up well. 

• 2 Showers Pass Men's Apex Merino Tech T-Shirts - I rode in the blue shirt every day, and kept the maroon shirt clean for when I was in town.

• Patagonia Down Sweater - Men's XL Superior Blue - I used this on days #4, #10, #12, #18, #19, #20, #21, #23, #25, #26, and #35. It's useless in the rain.

• Showers Pass Elite 2.1 Cycling Jacket - Men's Cayenne XL - I used this almost every day. It's great as windbreaker and in light rain. It's useless in heavy rain.

• Showers Pass Rain Hood Large/XLarge Neon Green - I used this on day #38.

• Showers Pass Men’s Transit rain pants w/ elastic straps - I used these on days #18, #23, #35, and #38.

• Specialized Deflect™ Comp Shoe Covers - These are a pain to put on and take off. I only used them on day #18.

• Pearl Izumi Ride Elite Thermal Leg Warmer Large black - I used these just about every day. 

• Bontrager Stormshell Oversocks SIZE XXL - I used these on days #18, #19, #21, #23, #38, and #44.

• Voler Sol Skin Spectrum UV Arm Protectors - I used these almost every day. Perhaps a safety pin might have helped keep the left one from sliding down my arm.

• 1 pair Specialized Body Geometry Gel Gloves, Red, XX-Large - I used these every day.

• 1 pair PEARL iZUMi Attack Full-Finger Bike Gloves - SCREAMING YELLOW /  Men's XXL I used these on days #10, #18, #19, #20, #21, #23, and #25. They don't work with touch screens as advertised.

• 1 pair Cannondale full finger glove liners - I used these on days #10, #18, #19, and #21.

• 1 pair Point 6 lifestyle medium crew Socks Men's XL - These made it to Helena, where they were replaced.

• 1 pair silk socks - I used these on days #18 and #19.

• 2 pairs Icebreaker Anatomica Boxer Briefs with Fly - Men's L - I love this underwear. I would mostly ride with the same pair, and then switch when I arrived in town or while doing laundry.

• Icebreaker Merino 260 Tech Long Sleeve Crewe Thermal Top Men's XL Black - I only used this a couple of times, and should have worn it on day #35. I slept in it on night #11 (before Cochetopa pass) and started day #12 with it. I wore it again on day #20. Size L would be a better fit and take up less room.

• Icebreaker Merino 15.5 Thermal Leggings Men's XL Black - I only used these a couple of times, and perhaps could have made it without them.  I slept in them on night #11 (before Cochetopa pass) and started day #12 with them. I wore them again on day #20.

• Smartwool, Merino 250 Balaclava - I used this on days #18 and #19 

• Merino Wool Buff - This was invaluable on the dusty gravel roads. I wore it every day.

• bandana - This came in handy whenever my eyes would tear up from sunscreen burn. I also used it to wipe my iPhone screen in the rain. In addition I'd use it as a napkin when eating, or to wipe my knife or spork. 

• Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants - I only used the long extensions while flying. I wore the shorts whenever I was in town. The rear pockets blew out and need to be repaired.

FOOD

• (3) 10oz Apllenty Refried Beans - These were awesome, and they were easy to squeeze into my bags. I had an extra one sent to Salida, and purchased more beans along the way.

• (1) .62 lbs ParmCheddar Cheese - This separated and turned to liquid. I was afraid the smell would attract animals. It still tasted fine.

• (1) 7oz. Beef Summer Sausage - I enjoyed this!

• (1) 7.05oz. Ibérico Chorizo - I had an additional one sent to Salida

• 1 package Mission Street tacos - I replenished these a few times.

(I purchased other food including canned fruit along the way)

MISC

• passport - Necessary for Canada (along with a vaccination card and the ArriveCAN app)

• Hyperlite Mountain Gear Minimalist Wallet - I love this thin lightweight wallet.

• pouch for loose change - I lost this early on, and didn't really need a change purse until I got to Canada, where there are $1 and $2 coins.

• cash (I used an ATM in Canada)

• 1 pair Clic reading glasses (with bag) - I lost these early on, and replaced them with cheap readers which took up a lot less room.

• 1 pair Dual Eyewear Bifocal Reading Sunglasses - These were essential.

• 1 pair Galeton Bifocal Clear Lens Glasses - These were useful when dark or during rain, unless it got heavy.

• Bicycle Rear View Flat Mirror - I used this a lot on the paved sections in New Mexico.

• Lens Cloth - I should have used this more than I did. 

• Halt! dog repellent - I never used this, but reached for it several times. I received a can of bear spray from a south-bound racer.

• 18’ parachute cord - I used this every night in grizzly country.

• Sea to Summit Lite Line Clothesline - This is only capable of hanging a few articles of clothing, but it's compact and lightweight.

• 4 tide travel packets - I used 2 when sink washing. I preferred to machine wash in a laundromat, hotel, or hostel with detergent.

• 4 Voile Rack Straps - 20" Orange - These worked well. I purchased an additional water bottle strap in Pinedale.

• 36" bungee cord - This came in handy for hauling food, beer, garbage, and when tying up the bear bag.

• Plastic bag (Saddle Cover) - I also used plastic grocery store bags for bear bags and garbage 

• Petzl Tikkina 150 lumen headlamp - The days were long, and I rarely had to use this.

• Petzl CORE Rechargeable battery - I never had to recharge this battery.

• 3 PURIST 32 OZ 701 Logo Hyper Camo Water Bottles - I lost one of these and replaced it with a stainless steel bottle which I preferred.

• lighter

• pen (My lucky NYC election pen)

• Sea to Summit spork

• password/log-in sheet - I never had to use 

TOILETRIES

• soap bar - I never used this, but was glad to have it. I gave up using a plastic container, and kept it in a ziplock bag.

• toilet paper - I never used this, but was glad to have it.

• Deodorant - I used this every morning, and never ran out.  

• Toothbrush, Toothpaste & Floss - I used the toothbrush every evening, and rarely used the floss. I regret my poor dental hygiene on bike tours.

• 1 pair Ear plugs - I used these at the noisy RV park in Lima, MT and they didn't do much good.

• 2 Q-tips - I never used these.

• tweezers - I never used these. 

• Nail Clippers - I used these frequently. For some reason my nails got extremely brittle out there.

• PackTowel® - Body Size - I mailed tis home from Salida. Hostels and hotels have towels, and there's no need to bring one.
 
• disposable razor - I shaved about once a week, and didn't bring shaving cream. My razor was extremely dull by the end of the tour.

• (1) .56oz stick DUKE CANNON SPF30 lip balm - I used this a lot at the beginning of the tour.

• (1) 2.5oz can OFF!® repellent - I went though this and purchased another can on day #25.

• (1) 4 fl oz tube dznuts Men's Pro Chamois Cream - I lost the first tube, and had a second one mailed to me in Salida. I used it every day.

• (1) 8 fl oz container Sunscreen SPF 65 Banana Boat - I used this almost every day, and never ran out. 
 
• (6) 25mg antihistamine tablets - I never used these. 

• (2) 25mg Imodium tablets - I never used these. 

• (1) .5 oz tube Neosporin - I used a little bit for a couple of scrapes. 

⥢ prev -home- next ⥤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Divide (NOBO) - Day #2 Hachita, NM to Silver City, NM

Table of Contents

Great Divide (NOBO) - Day #36 Eureka, MT to Fernie, BC